DIY: How to dip-dye old wooden cutlery

If you have a look around the internet and some other blogs, you`ll discover how many boring things achieve a more attractive appeal after being dip-dyed... For some inspiration, there are shoes, bowls, lamps and chairs to be dip-dyed as well as clothes and handbags - and cutlery.
Whether you use metal cutlery, bamboo kitchen tools or wooden picknick cutlery, dip-dying really is a great way to boost one`s old stuff`s value.


I had this set of rustic (that is what its damaged boxing said) wooden cutlery lying around somewhere in our basement and it was -with one exception- unused. Although I still like the look of these forks, spoons and knives, I`ve never heard any lovely compliments on especially this cutlery; everybody who got the chance to have a glance on it, told me it was just old-fashioned crap. Well, we don`t need new cutlery now, but in a few months time in the future I will, and I`d love the idea of some kind of a "ressurection" of ancient and unbeloved flatware.

You`ll need:
old (wooden) cutlery*
masking tape
waterproof spray paint
drying rack, some sheets of newspaper, clothes pegs
nail polish remover

*metal cutlery would work as well, but I did not try it and I recommend a look at A Legg Up for further tutorials on noncommittal dip-dyed cutlery using nail varnish or Creatively Christy for coloured metal spoons.




1) Arrange your set of flatware and decide on which fork, knife or spoon will be dip-dyed. I had about 22 single pieces; 5 knives, 5 forks, 6 table- and 6 teaspoons and 3 different spray paint colours. I took four flatware pieces each and one colour will be doubled in each set.  







2) Cover all surfaces that won`t need a colourful renewal. Pay attention to your surroundings, your working bench (and wall). I would also advise to use rubber gloves - unless you want to run around with spray painted hands and fingers (as I unvoluntarily did). Just make sure that everything you wish to paint will get painted and avoid colouring everything else that should not...




  

3) Carefully spray-paint  the pieces of flatware and don`t forget to open the windows afterwards.




4) For drying I clamped the cutlery onto a foldout drying rack with the help of some clothes pegs after I covered the ground beneath with newspaper.




5) Wait and see - a few hours passing and your upcycled cutlery is ready for your next perfect dinner! In case there are arrears due to sloppy taping, you should be able to clear them away with a bit of nail polish remover or equivalent.













That was the initial trick, but the second follows quick. (W.Busch)

I`ll be dip-dying the rest of the flatware and will be having the first items for my first own home....





I`d love to see your dip-dye projects!
Neary

Share:

0 Kommentare

Meinungen? Anregungen? Fragen? Ausdrücklich erwünscht =D